Locomotive depot memorial fountain

COWRA LOCOMOTIVE DEPOT MEMORIAL FOUNTAIN

The fountain commemorates local railwaymen who died in service or were killed in action during World War One and World War Two.

The fountain consists of a hand holding a grenade with a sprinkler at its apex, above a large tray with four equidistant spouts and a fish pond at ground level.

In 1926 it was unveiled at the then-new Cowra Locomotive Depot in Taragala. The fountain, built by the railway staff and incorporating parts from steam locomotives, paid tribute to the local railwaymen who died while serving their country during World War One. At the end of World War Two, a further four names were added to the memorial.

Finally, with the closing of Cowra Locomotive Depot, the ANZAC services ended and the fountain fell into disrepair. However, the depot subsequently came under the control of the Lachlan Valley Railway Society and with assistance from Ron Horsfall and the local RSL Sub-branch the memorial fountain was refurbished and re-dedicated in 1991.

You can see this memorial in person at the Lachlan Valley Railway Heritage Centre



Subscribe

Receive Cowra deals, travel inspiration, upcoming events and moreā€¦


    footer flags

    Visit Cowra acknowledges the Wiradjuri People as the Traditional Custodians of the land on which we work and reside, and pay our respects to Elders past and present.